Things to keep in mind when putting your stuff in storage
Are you considering using a long term storage facility in Melbourne? Whether you are about to make a move or short on space in your new place, it’s common for home owners to look for a cheap long term storage facility. While keeping your stuff in one can actually have its own benefits, there are certain things which should be kept in mind when using a long term storage facility in Melbourne.
Things to keep in mind before putting your stuff away for long term storage
- When you have made the decision to put your things away for long term, you need to make an inventory. A list of thing which you want to put in storage. Make sure you carefully assess all parts of your home, looking for things which you want to put in storage. This is important because you need to keep in mind that once you pit something away you might not be able to use it anymore. A storage facility might be far away from your home and if you actually want to use that thing on an immediate basis you would need to make the long trip.
- Once you have a list of all things sorted out, make sure you give all those a thorough cleaning. This would prevent depreciation when those things are put away. Once they are clan it is advisable to put a protective covering so that your things stay dust free and clean.
- If you are wet cleaning the items make sure you allow those to air dry before packing. Any trace of moisture left can ruin even the best and most precious pieces.
- If the items are breakable, make sure you use bubble wrap t add some extra protection.
- It is also advised that plastic packing should be kept to a minimum because plastic can often suffocate things made from natural materials. Especially those which are made from wood and fabric. Using plastic around these things can cause a musty smell and unnecessary moisture.
- The idea is to use drop cloths or covers made from cotton or other natural materials to prevent the presence of moisture or a musty smell.
- Also keep in mind that different storage facilities would have different mount of storage space. Choose a unit based on your requirements. If there are loads of things to be put away, then choose a bigger facility. Cramming all your things just to save space or add more stuff to a smaller unit can have its consequences. The idea is to have at least a little bit of space between the items to prevent any unnecessary damage.
- Get to know whether the storage facility is climate controlled or not. It is way better than placing your valuables in a dank place which is humid or damp. Though you might have to pay more for such a facility but it actually worth it because your items stay good as new.